The Flyers Annual Awards Night and Dinner was held at the Crown Hotel, Framlingham on Saturday 11th February 2017. Around 65 Flyers and partners enjoyed a fantastic meal which was followed by the presentation of the annual awards which in turn was followed by dancing!
In making the first 4 presentations, Ricky said of each recipient:
- Most Improved Runner. This is chosen by Bill and I and again this year we had quite a few names to choose from with so many new personal best times being set by Flyers members. However, we managed to narrow it down to two people, both of whom have been working hard at their running with some impressive results. They have both improved not only with their race results but also with their technique. Unfortunately there can only be one winner though and so even though I’d like to give a special mention to Doris Willmont, this year’s most improved Flyer is Melanie Snare.
- Flyer of the Year. This award is for someone who has gone above and beyond to offer their time and commitment to the club over the last year. This year’s winner has certainly done that!
- Not only did she step in as race director for the 10k, she has also completed her Level One coaching qualification and is now working regularly with a junior group. Congratulations (and thank you!) to Flyer of the Year – Elspeth Gilmour. (Pictured with Chairman Mark and Secretary Ricky)
- Performance of the Year. Again this was not an easy choice because, as previously mentioned, there have been an abundance of personal bests set this year. Special mention ought to go to Jim who has set at least two club records this year- however, that’s not enough to get your hands on this trophy two years in a row! This year’s performance of the year goes to a performance over a whole weekend rather than just for a one-off race. Listen to this:
- Saturday morning, Ipswich Parkrun, 1st place in 17.59. Saturday afternoon, Stowmarket Golden Mile, 5th place in 5.01. Sunday morning, Langham 10k, 3rd place, 34.57. Performance of the Year for 2016 goes to Adam Howlett.
- Club champion. This is the only award that you get a say in. The secret is to perform well at our summer 5k’s and also to slip under Bill’s handicapping radar. This year’s winner seems to have done an excellent job of both!
- Seriously, this year’s Club Champion is one of our newer members. She has managed to pip one or two of our much more experienced runners to the award. She continues to improve as a runner and she has been a most welcome addition to our club. Framlingham Flyers Club Champion for 2016 is Nicky Roper.
Chairmans Award. In presenting his award Mark said “As you know I like to make a Chairman’s Award each year for somebody who has gone above and beyond the call of duty at the Club. You may initially think it rather odd but this year the recipient of my Award is not a member of the Club; at least not yet anyway! I am very happy to tell you that this person is Tracy Peacher. For very many years Tracy has been tirelessly working on behalf of the Club, usually behind the scenes. She provides tremendous support to Ricky, organises and serves teas and cakes at our 10k Race and Cross Country Event as well as our new Friday 5 and is always cheerful and patient. She also assists with and audits our accounts whilst looking after the family and working in Framlingham.Furthermore and in recognition of her contribution to the Club we propose to make Tracy an Honorary Member of the Framlingham Flyers. So, very many thanks Tracy on behalf of all of us and congratulations”